Assistant Professor, Nutrigenomics
Department of Molecular and Structural Biochemistry
The Eroglu lab at NC State University strives to describe biochemical routes and downstream signaling effects of carotenoid metabolism by the gut microbiota in mammalian organisms. We are investigating the role of carotenoids in the gut microbiota and in mediating microbe-host interactions. The overall objective of our research program is to harness carotenoid metabolism in the gut microbiota and to reveal implications for host inflammation.
We are seeking answers to three BIG BEAUTIFUL BIOLOGY QUESTIONS in our team.
- How do carotenoids modulate the gut microbiota?
- Do microbially-derived carotenoids impact host inflammation?
- Can yeast exert similar changes in the gut as dietary carotenoids?
We formulated four distinctive objectives to answer these questions.
Objective 1: We aim to determine the impact of carotenoids on the mammalian gut microbiome.
Objective 2: We aim to illustrate how carotenoids impact local and systemic inflammation.
Objective 3: We aim to reveal carotenoid production pathways encoded in the gut microbiota using innovative high-throughput assays.
Objective 4: We aim to engineer probiotic yeast to release carotenoids in the mammalian gut.
We will advance knowledge by unraveling the links in the carotenoids, gut microbiota, and host inflammation by achieving these objectives. We will ultimately move the fields of carotenoid biochemistry, gut microbiome, and microbiology forward.
Research interests in Biochemistry:
- Carotenoid chemistry and metabolism
- Retinoid metabolism
- Lipid metabolism
- Functional Metagenomics
- Systems Biology
- Probiotic Engineering
- Synthetic Biology
Research interests in Nutrition:
- Nutrient-Gene Interactions
- Nutrient-Protein Interactions
PhD Biochemistry The Ohio State University
BS Molecular Biology and Genetics Istanbul Halic University
- Carotenoids in orange carrots mitigate non-alcoholic fatty liver disease progression , FRONTIERS IN NUTRITION (2022)
- In Situ Biomanufacturing of Small Molecules in the Mammalian Gut by Probiotic Saccharomyces boulardii , ACS SYNTHETIC BIOLOGY (2021)
- The Promising Effects of Astaxanthin on Lung Diseases , ADVANCES IN NUTRITION (2021)
- The Role of beta-Carotene in Colonic Inflammation and Intestinal Barrier Integrity , FRONTIERS IN NUTRITION (2021)
- Lycopene Protects against Smoking-Induced Lung Cancer by Inducing Base Excision Repair , Antioxidants (2020)
- Nutrient modulation of DNA repair in lung cancer , FASEB JOURNAL (2020)
- The Colors of Health: Chemistry, Bioactivity, and Market Demand for Colorful Foods and Natural Food Sources of Colorants , ANNUAL REVIEW OF FOOD SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, VOL 11 (2020)
- Investigation into the use of histone deacetylase inhibitor MS-275 as a topical agent for the prevention and treatment of cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma in an SKH-1 hairless mouse model. , PloS one (2019)
- A plasma proteome is associated with carotenoid status and dietary intake of food sources of carotenoids in Nepalese school aged children , Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics (2018)
- Plasma proteins associated with circulating carotenoids in Nepalese school-aged children. , Archives of biochemistry and biophysics (2018)