In the Iorizzo Lab, Dr. Marti Pottorff serves as lab and greenhouse manager. She conducts research, supports lab efforts and collaborates on projects focused on nutritional and quality traits of carrot (genetics of anthocyanins), blueberries (quality traits), spinach (breeding traits), bananas (pathology – Black Sigatoka) and pineapple (flowering).
Prior to joining PHHI, Dr. Pottorff worked as a post-doctoral plant pathologist at the World Vegetable Center, Taiwan (headquarters) and Thailand (regional center). She studied anthracnose (Colletotrichum spp.) of chili peppers for the South Eastern Asian region, identification and diversity of Colletotrichum species, and worked on improvement of pathology bioassays for the identification of resistant cultivars and accessions. She was also involved in chili anthracnose field trials and regional collaborative projects in Thailand, Taiwan, Fiji/Solomon Islands, India, South Korea and Indonesia.
For her PhD research, she conducted QTL and genetics/genomics analyses of fungal disease (Fusarium oxysporum and Macrophomina phaseolina) resistance in cowpea. She also studied and mapped various other quality traits.
PhD Plant Biology University of California, Riverside
- Comparative multi-parameters approach to dissect texture subcomponents of highbush blueberry cultivars at harvest and postharvest , POSTHARVEST BIOLOGY AND TECHNOLOGY (2022)
- There and back again; historical perspective and future directions for Vaccinium breeding and research studies , HORTICULTURE RESEARCH (2022)
- Influence of simulated food and oral processing on carotenoid and chlorophyll in vitro bioaccessibility among six spinach genotypes , FOOD & FUNCTION (2021)
- Carrot Anthocyanins Genetics and Genomics: Status and Perspectives to Improve Its Application for the Food Colorant Industry , GENES (2020)
- Development of a genetic framework to improve the efficiency of bioactive delivery from blueberry , SCIENTIFIC REPORTS (2020)
- In Vitro Bioaccessibility of Carotenoids and Chlorophylls in a Diverse Collection of Spinach Accessions and Commercial Cultivars , JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL AND FOOD CHEMISTRY (2020)
- Carrot Molecular Genetics and Mapping , CARROT GENOME (2019)