Working with the media can be both rewarding and challenging to an agricultural operation. On one end, growers and Extension agents can highlight production practices, food safety measures and product quality for key audiences. On the other end, unprepared interviewees can end up making statements that could possibly damage the operation’s brand and business. The resources in this section will help growers and Extension agents more effectively work with the media to create positive outcomes.
Media & Public Relations Toolkit for Farmers (PDF)
Cornell University compiled this list of media tip sheets from farmer experiences, media professionals and news reporters. They provide a quick summary and introduction to some of the most common – and important – media situations an agricultural operation could face. Find common media interview questions, 10 things every grower should know about the media, why media relations is important and more. Individual pieces of the toolkit are provided below as PDFs.
Media & Public Relations Toolkit for Farmers
- Ways to Generate Media Coverage
- Write Your Own Press Release in 6 Easy Steps
- Ways to Engage Media
- Interview Tips & Pointers by Specific Media
- Web-based Media
- Farm Photography Guide (generate high-quality photos of your farm)
- Additional Resources/Credits
- Worksheet: Create your Compelling Story
- How to Create a Media Kit
- Sample farm media kit with starter templates (downloadable Microsoft Word documents):
*Acknowledgment: Many of the materials in this section were compiled from the National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition website.